Monday, June 18, 2012

Our Cloth Diapers at One Month

We are one month into cloth diapering, and I have to say that so far I am a fan!
The very first time I tried to put one on Logan I had a panic moment, but after a few more times it wasn't as hard. Matt does plenty of diaper changes, and is a pro.

We use prefolds and covers. I don't have any fitteds or pockets or all-in-ones. I kept it simple. (and cheap)
Every diaper we have came from http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/ If you spend over $50, shipping is free!

We ended up spending $210 total. Disposable diapers average 15 to 25 cents each. 
If you calculate 10 diapers a day at 20 cents each, our cloth diapers will pay for themselves in 3.5 months.

What we got for $210:
24 Infant prefolds (6-16lbs)
6 Baby prefolds (14-30lbs)
10 covers
4 snappis
1 diaper pail liner

We will obviously need more of the next size of prefolds, but I have found a local place that I can buy them for even cheaper than my website!

Prefold with a snappi:

We also use cloth wipes. At first I thought, ok, I can do cloth diapers, but cloth wipes too? Really? I'll just buy wipes. In actuality it is just as easy or easier to use cloth wipes instead of the disposables. 
I made my own from receiving blankets that I bought at garage sales, and spent a maximum of $2. 
All you do is spritz with water then toss them into the diaper pail with the rest of the diapers. If you used disposable you would need a separate trash can for your wipes.

Excuse me while I climb off of my soap box please.

We have four different kinds of covers, 10 total. They all fit from day 1.


Thirsties Duo-Wrap Size 1 (6-18lb)
These are probably my favorite covers. We currently have them on the smallest setting.


Lil' Joey's Newborn cover (4-12lbs)
These will be the first ones he will grow out of. I wouldn't recommend buying any newborn size covers, unless you are expecting an especially small baby, because all of our other covers fit from the beginning and will last much longer. We have these on the medium snap-down setting.


Flip cover (8-35lbs)
We have the Flip set on the smallest setting. I only have one of these, because I thought I wouldn't like it very much. As it turns out it isn't that bad at all. He has worn it some today.


Rumparooz G2 (6-35lbs)
These are our bulkiest cover at this point, but I really think they will grow nicely with him. We have these on the smallest setting also.


I prefer the covers with velcro, but the snaps aren't terrible to deal with. (even at 3a.m.)
Plus, the snaps will be nice when his little hands learn to open velcro!

Of course, when it comes to cloth diapers, everyone wants to know, "But what about washing them!?"
Stay tuned for a separate post that will answer that question!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! I could talk about cloth diapers all day!

No comments: